Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Off to the Capitol



Hello everyone, I am getting ready for a trip. My niece's 5th grade safety patrols are going on a trip to Washington, DC and I'm accompanying my brother as a chaperone. I know it's not gonna be "ALL" fun and games, but I'm looking forward to some of our capitol's sites that I've never seen before and I'm hoping to come back with lots of pictures to scrapbook. Unfortunately, we actually get to meet our President or tour the Whitehouse.

There will be 492 of us (adults and children) boarding 10 buses at 4 AM Saturday morning. Stopping only for a potty break in Georgia, a box lunch at a South Carolina rest stop, another potty break in North Carolina and a buffet style dinner at Colonial Heights, VA; we will arrive in Woodbridge, VA sometime that evening to check into our hotel.



The next several days we will be on guided tours at a very fast pace. Starting very early in the morning and going on into the evening. Some of the things we are scheduled to see are:


Sunday:

  • Mount Vernon - Home of George & Martha WashingtonSmithsonian Museum of Air & Space
  • METRO subway ride
  • National Building Museum
  • National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial
  • Exterior bus tour of the Capitol Hill area, the U.S. Capitol Building, the Supreme Court Building and the Library of Congress Building

Monday:

  • Group picture at the Grant Memorial
  • Newseum
  • National WWII Memorial
  • Lunch at the Reagan Building Food Court
  • Smithsonian Museums of Natural History and American History

Tuesday:

  • Jefferson & FDR Memorials
  • Pictures stop at the White House
  • Washington National Cathedral
  • Embassy Row
  • Vietnam & Korean Veteran's Memorials
  • Lincoln Memorial
  • Dinner & Shopping at Pentagon City Mall
  • See the US Marine Corp Sunset Review at the Iwo Jima Memorial
Wednesday:


  • Arlington National Cemetery
  • Visit the Kennedy Gravesites
  • Witness the Changing of the Guard at the Tombs of tne Unkown Soldier
  • Guided Tour of theLuray Caverns in the Blue Ridge Mountains
  • Enjoy the spectacular scenery of the Shenandoah National Park Area
  • Tour the Hedged Maze
Thursday:


Depart Richmond, VA at 6:30 AM and head home. We should arrive back in Citrus County sometime around 9:00 PM.

I am looking forward to this experience and only hope I can keep up with all these young whippersnappers.

1 comment:

Mardi said...

Oh my goodness, that is a jammed packed schedule! My Sis used to live in VA and I visited DC many times and still have not seen it all. The Vietnam wall is breath taking! Have a wonderful trip!

My Loved Ones

Craft Projects

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones